[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil Electrical Fields - was Dangers of running 2 coils...

  Russ -

  With reference to my post on electrical fields near a Tesla coil do you
think the Faraday magnetic field from Brian's coil could be inducing
currents in your coil and charging your capacitor? Your coil and Brian's
would be a good test for the presence of this field. Radio engineers would
say that it was the electromagnetic field that induced the charge. But is
this correct? According to Terman the Faraday induction field near the
antenna is stronger than the electromagnetic field but would drop off much
faster.

  The only way to properly test for the Faraday magnetic field would be with
a gauss meter that could detect an RF frequency magnetic field and also be
shielded from the electromagnetic field. I have not heard of anyone who has
ever done this.

  What input power was used?  I would be interested in more details on the
setup, like what was the closest your primary coil came to Brian's? Part of
Faraday's discovery was that a changing current in one wire could produce a
changing current in an adjacent parallel wire.

  John Couture