[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Arcs off the fingers and getting killed in the process...

All,

Big Snip...

> only a few can get to work.  Anyone that can find the parts, can make very
> high powered coil easily.  No great knowledge is needed.  The Internet can
> supply all the "mechanical" details one needs...  Supplying the "how not
> get killed" part is far less obvious...

I don't know what kind of effective argument I can make, because when I
discuss this subject, I get accused of keeping secrets to protect my
business.

At kVA Effects, we have very little call for this stunt (one or two times a
year,
tops) and we don't ever "do it for fun". I personally don't do it because
it's
a job for a qualified and specialized stunt professional. My motivation for
discouraging this stunt in all forms is to protect the person who may try it
and the industry and hobby we all enjoy.

If more people get injured, it WILL attract legislation regarding Tesla
coils.
As a voting member of the Alliance of Special Effect and Pyrotechnic
Operators, I have been given the task of working with the State of
California Fire Marshall's Office and Los Angeles County Fire
Inspector to adopt safety guidelines for Tesla coils in professional
entertainment and public display. I am working so that guidelines or
laws relating to professional Tesla coil installations be fair and
protect our (my) industry. My goal is a federally approved program
for licensing of Tesla coil professionals (much like the pyrotechnic
licensing program). My efforts should not affect the hobby, unless...

God help this hobby if more people get killed. The law can dry Tesla
coiling up very quickly. Avoid scrutiny, stay safe and keep it in the
garage!!!

The best way NOT to get killed is to NOT subject one's body to Tesla
currents.

Jeff W. Parisse
Director, kVA Effects
www.teslacoil-dot-com