[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: MMC Charging

In a message dated 2/1/00 3:52:37 PM Central Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

<< Hi Ralph:
 I was wondering if you were off by a decimal place in your gap dimensions?
 You say that " No way is that NST going to jump 0.05, let alone 0.075".  If
 you meant 1/2 to 3/4", you may be right, but 50-75 thousandths is tiny for a
 gap.   >>

Thanks Gary and  All,

Nope. All I have to do is read the numbers off the gauges. :-)) But you're on
the right track. I had occasion to do some mixed fraction-LCD arithmetic the
other day and couldn't do it right off.

Looking in John Couture's Design Manual,  450 VA is on the light side to fill
0.022 uF
across a 0.025 gap. And John Freau also suggests that I reduce the gap size.
I reduced the gap to 0.20 and got a few sputters and then nothing. (???)  Now
I am going to parallel the 15/60 NST with two 15/30. Something should happen
at 1350 VA. The good news is that I'm getting my learning curve off the
horizontal axis--slowly. :-))

Question:
I have measured the secondary voltages for three transformers. The voltages
are close
but not equal. The transformers are properly phased--I think. The three
transformers
SHOULD NOT be tied together by the case grounds. Should they? Why?
Thanks, all.
Learning in progress.

Ralph Zekelman