[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Arcs off the fingers and getting killed in the process...

Hi All,
	I totally agree with what John and Nick,and Terry have said on this. But
lets get some prospective on this. I think, can;t be sure without looking
it up, that something like 60volts ,and 5mA can kill, given the right
circumstances. I have been fascinated with electricity from about five or
six. I remember getting shocks off mains sockets and light fittings 2 or 3
times I think before I realized it was a bad idea, I survived. When I was
about 12 we had a guy from the local electricity board give a lecture at
school. After showing us the size of insulators on 132Kv  lines he then
showed us some of the thinks they had pulled out of houses were people had
died as a result of there own stupidity. Things like  broken light bulbs
that had had wires soldered on to them. fuses replaced by nails ,and lots
of other horrors. I thought "how can anyone be so stupid" But then again I
have seen some weird things done to cars as well. My point is electricity
is dangerous in combination with ignorance, as are lots of other things,
cars ,gas stoves, power tools. In order to make a Tesla coil you have to at
least have some idea of what you are doing, or you might exit the gene pool
early, before you get to the sparks stage. I think if you can get as far as
working out how to get to this list, you are reasonably intelligent, and
the type of questions people ask is a reasonable guide to whether they are
going to get to the stage of being a danger to themselves. Of course there
are always exceptions. I think the small child death was related to the
father being drunk. He could have easily been behind the wheel of a car.

cheers
bob golding