[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Introducing....

     Hi, everyone.  I'm new to this list and re-new to coiling.  I built my
first coil in 1984 or so, but caught the bug in 1969 during a high school
electronics course.   My first successful coil ran off of a 12Kv 30mA NST, a
hand made, paraffin potted glass and aluminum foil cap, 12 turns of #10
wire for
a primary a static gap in the actual #10 wire, a hand wound secondary of #24
enameled magnet wire ~860 turns on a 4" PVC form with a trailer ball on the
output.  It generated (calculated) about 180KV at around 60kHz.  Nice,
rewarding
streamers over 18" long were produced.  Multiple experiments ensued, as you can
imagine, including drawing the spark to a hand held metal rod, lighting all
manner of bulbs, neon, argon, hydrogen, helium etc., passing a spark to a post
in the ground, (not _too_ painful...), passing the streamers through 3/8" thick
plate glass, and on and on.
     After perusing numerous sites on the wonderful www, I'm kind of wondering;
most all of the TC's therein operate from the most basic configurations put
down
by Mr. Tesla, e.g. the simple "auto ignition coil" configuration, or very close
to it.  Also, how many present coilers out there have done experiments with
some
of the other configurations of coils set forth in his Colorado Springs
experiments?  There is a slew of different configurations, but I've seen none
tried in the current wave of TC's.
     My plans for my new coil are to make it more or less modular, so if I
build
several different types of components, I can just plug them in in different
arrangements and try out some of his alternative designs.  I plan to use
relatively low power, specifically the secondary coil and NST mentioned above,
but everything else will be new.  Any thoughts on this?
     I'll be talkin' to ya.  BTW, I'll be adding a coiler page to my
website, as
soon as I find and scan the pictures of my old coil.  :-)

Steve Dodder
http://www.stargazing,net/Astroman