Re: Arcs off the fingers and getting killed in the process...
One of the difficulties is that you can't legislate against fools. I work in
a school as a technician. Three recent incidents illustrate my point.
1. A general school rule is that pupils do not remove materials or apparatus
from rooms without permission of staff. A fifteen year old took a simple
lead with banana plugs on each end. He plugged both ends into a 13A 240V
socket in a corridor. Fortunately he only tripped the supply and damaged the
2 School science rules state that pupils should not play around with
apparatus and materials. A unidentified pupil placed a few pieces of calcium
carbonate in a bottle of 2M hydrochloric acid. As another technician was
clearing away, the bottle exploded, fortunately she was uninjured.
3 An eleven year old unscrewed the cover from an electrical socket, and was
only just stopped from poking his fingers in the back.
----- Original Message -----
From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2000 2:41 AM
Subject: Re: Arcs off the fingers and getting killed in the process...
> Original Poster: "bob golding" <yubba-at-clara-dot-net>
> Hi All,
> I totally agree with what John and Nick,and Terry have said on this. But
> lets get some prospective on this. I think, can;t be sure without looking
> it up, that something like 60volts ,and 5mA can kill, given the right
> circumstances. I have been fascinated with electricity from about five or
> six. I remember getting shocks off mains sockets and light fittings 2 or 3
> times I think before I realized it was a bad idea, I survived. When I was
> about 12 we had a guy from the local electricity board give a lecture at
> school. After showing us the size of insulators on 132Kv lines he then
> showed us some of the thinks they had pulled out of houses were people had
> died as a result of there own stupidity. Things like broken light bulbs
> that had had wires soldered on to them. fuses replaced by nails ,and lots
> of other horrors. I thought "how can anyone be so stupid" But then again I
> have seen some weird things done to cars as well. My point is electricity
> is dangerous in combination with ignorance, as are lots of other things,
> cars ,gas stoves, power tools. In order to make a Tesla coil you have to
> least have some idea of what you are doing, or you might exit the gene
> early, before you get to the sparks stage. I think if you can get as far
> working out how to get to this list, you are reasonably intelligent, and
> the type of questions people ask is a reasonable guide to whether they are
> going to get to the stage of being a danger to themselves. Of course there
> are always exceptions. I think the small child death was related to the
> father being drunk. He could have easily been behind the wheel of a car.
> bob golding
> > From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> > To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> > Subject: Re: Arcs off the fingers and getting killed in the process...
> > Date: 02 February 2000 18:51
> > Original Poster: "Megavolt Nick" <tesla-at-fieldfamily.prontoserve.co.uk>
> > Hi Terry,
> > I agree with you that higher power levels are much more
> > accessable than they were - I am probably the most extreme example of
> > I'm 14 and running 12kVA. I think one of the aspects of coiling we
> > build on as part of this trend, which we will never be able to reverse
> > (unless we can get a pole pig 'licence' introduced...) is group coiling.
> > A guy in a shed with a pole pig won't have the safety of someone
> > to kill the power when he doesn't and calling the ambulance when neither
> > them do.
> > I think we are being forced this way as anyway, as you push up the power
> > venues get harder to find and you have to group together to arrange
> > enough venues. Even so we should make a concious effort to have some
> > coilers around when we're running at high power, the family cowering in
> > corner can't recognise when we do something stupid because they don't
> > what's stupid and what's not.
> > I have never been tempted to try the arcs off fingers demo. If I ever
> > to do it I would personally only do so if i had a chain mail suit under
> > clothes to prevent any current flowing through my body. I as far as
> > electric shocks go I'm living on borrowed time already so I don't feel
> > need to increase my doseage.
> > Regards
> > Nick Field