[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Home Made Variac

     I can't afford to buy a variac but I need some way to vary the line
voltage... So, I decided to build one. I'm pretty sure I can get my hands on
some 10 guage magnet wire, however, I still need to find a suitable core. Isn't
a variac basically a bifliar-wound 1:1 turns ratio transformer? If so, does
anyone have some sort of formulas on the subject?  What would be the
disadvantages of having a core which is not laminated such as the kind found in
transformers?
Any thoughts?
                                                            -Michael