[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Arcs off the fingers and getting killed in the process...

Hi All,

Wow!  this is a fun thread both on and off list ;-)))

The best idea that seems to have come out of all this is to do more in the
web page disclaimer area.  However, I think there is a much better benefit
to it all.  Our other list members see us "experts" painfully struggling
with the safety issues surrounding the "human fireball stunt".  Normally we
always seem to have all the answers.  Our struggle in itself, demonstrates
the danger...  In a way, we found the best warning off all.  Simply, the
fear of the unknown.  The stunt is so dangerous, we can't really even agree
on how to WARN people not to do it...  If we ever were to offer them advise
on actually HOW to do it, they would never trust our advise as being sound
anyway.  Nor should they...

This thread sort of put the heat on the pros who do this stunt publicly.
It may seem like it only raises the "don't do this yourself" thing.
However, I think those reading the posts on this will be far less likely to
try it and will only have more respect (or worry) about those that do it.
There are a lot of people who worry much more about Robert, Brent and Dean
now than before (I do).  Everyone now sees that they REALLY are taking
their life in their hands.  I have noticed since it was determined that the
RF currents go into the body causing pains and such, that there are a FAR
fewer people "playing" with arcs.  The vast majority of coilers just have
to be made AWARE of the true nature of the dangers to be convinced not to
try stunts.  Personally, the more I find out about arcs the further away
from them I get...

I will e-mail the web ring place and see if they can add a disclaimer
thing.  If so, we can figure out what to say.  another fun thread ;-))

I would like to encourage people to put up some kind of disclaimer or
warning on their Tesla coil pages if they don't have them already.  "I"
might even do this too! ;-)))   I certainly don't want to try and force or
excessively push that as some kind of requirement or policy since that
REALLY gets on peoples nerves and just starts useless battles.

I think we are all convinced that sitting on tesla coils and shooting arcs
of you fingers is NOT safe as some old myths about Tesla coils would have
us understand.  Apparently, a few can do it without getting killed, yet...
I wish them well and the best of luck...

I was somewhat relieved that the recent request of information on other
Tesla coil related deaths turned up no new additions.  So far a pro, a
bystander, and a child have been killed.  There is no patterns or
surprises.  Their deaths only serve to reinforce the old warnings...

I wish to thank the many people who have really thought long and hard about
all this.  It is a pretty emotional issue for some and they have really
"worked" this week.  I think it was well worth it and the next time it
comes up we can just direct people to the archives on this thread.

Cheers,

	Terry