[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Arcs off the fingers and getting killed in the process...

In a message dated 2/5/00 7:40:37 AM Central Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

<< Wow!  this is a fun thread both on and off list ;-)))

Hi Terry and All,
Having already attempted to post a not too tactful single-word pejorative on
my thoughts regarding stunts with high voltage electricity under the guise of
"science education," let me try again with an illustration.

The Indianapolis 500 races are touted as the most heavily attended single
"sporting" event in the United States. IMHO driving a race car around a track
for 500 miles, or
sitting in the viewing stands watching someone do this, is not the same as
watching a great athlete pitch a perfect game or win the pro-am. The
opportunity to witness a great athletic performance is not what fills the
viewer stands.

Seven or eight years ago the local chapter of the IEEE was able to arrange a
tour of
Gasoline Alley at the Indianapolis Speedway. Gasoline Alley is the garage
area of the
speedway. We toured areas of the track where the ordinary spectator is not
allowed.
Indeed, there were many things that they would not show us. But we met
automotive
engineers with advanced university degrees and we met with the self-made nerd
type with
gasoline in his veins. The same kind of expertise one finds on the Tesla
list. We saw fantastic instrumentation, tooling, and tons of goodies.

I would suggest that the IEEE tour enabled many of us to receive an informal
class in a fascinating area of technology. I wouldn't describe the tour as
being exciting or even entertaining, but it was educational. Learning
happened.

The distinction, I believe, is clearly made.  Our avocational interest in the
Tesla technology
is real learning. Sitting in the stands at the Indy 500 watching the cars
speed around a track for 500 miles while hoping to witness (not too closely)
some guy do a triple
fireball flip into the spectators caters to a prurient and morbid interest.
It is to automotive engineering what standing barefoot on an energized Tesla
coil is to electrical
engineering and "science education."

Ralph Zekelman