[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Arcs off the fingers and getting killed in the process...

to: Scott

Unfortunately, this won't work either.  You definitely mentioned "death" in
your disclaimer.  Legal beagles will argue if you were aware of "death"
possibility, then you should not have distributed the program (BTW -- an
excellent program).

You specifically want to avoid using the words "death or injury" in your
disclaimer.

Another example is when you visit a restraurant and they have a coat check
room.  You check your coat and it gets handed out to someone else.  The
restrauant owner tries to point to his "not responsible for any losses"
sign.  From a legal point this is invalid as he charged you to check the
coat and therefore is responsible to not give it to someone else.  Truth of
the matter he "is responsible", can be sued, and the party can "collect
damages".  A good tort lawyer can even collect if the owner doesn't charge
you because a certain amount of responsibility is implied as he accepted
your coat.  The only true solution here is just have a long series of hooks
and no person accepting coats.  Everyone just hangs their own coat up and
picks it up themselves.  If you don't physically "accept the material" you
are not liable for its safety.

Hope this helps you avoid any serious problems.  Love your program.

Best regards,

Dr. Resonance