[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A plea on quoting

Hi all,

I have meant to write this several times before, but kept putting
it off (in the hopes of it getting better).

PLEASE(!!) DO the following, when (Re)plying:
- KEEP the line "Original Poster: "Name" <Email>" within the reply.

- If there are several replies within a mail (multiple quoting), please
  keep all "original poster" lines (and in their proper place).

- Remove ALL items of non-interest to keep the bandwidth low AND
  make reading the mail easier.

- If you plan on interspersing comments, say so.

- If ALL your comments are below the mail, say so.

- If you change the subject, PLEASE(!) change the subject line or:

- write "new subject (was Re: old subject)" in the subject line.

- make your answer clear by using > (or >>, etc) in the original
  posterīs mails. Not all mail programs do this automatically, esp.
  if you are multi-quoting.

- Try formatting your mail a little. I really hate the N.T. of internet
   spelling (no capitals, no formatting, all writing in one line, etc).
   This was okay in the days of 300 Baud BBS, but now we all
   have faster modems and it wonīt increase the bandwidth that
   much. Your mail IS personal, even if a 1000 persons can read
   it ;o)).

PLEASE DONīT do the following, when (Re)plying:
- Remove ALL of the text and only *insert* your answer
  in the mail body. This leads to total confusion, esp. if the
  subject doesnīt match the subject line. The original poster
  (or those who replied) will NEVER be able to tell who is
  being "talked" to.

- Remove the "original poster" line. No one will be able to
  find out who wrote what or to whom.

- Donīt combine mails with different subjects unless you
  can make it QUITE clear who wrote what AND keep the
  different subjects (unless they are closely related) easy
  to separate.

As this list doesnīt send out one or two mails, but more like
20-60 mails per day, the above makes reading MUCH easier.
For those who save and sort the mails and later backread on
something posted a year ago (or search the archives), it also
makes it easier to find out who wrote what (for contacting off-
list for example). I have misquoted Nick Fields (sorry ībout that)
and have been misquoted on a few occasions (no hard feelings)
because these simple "rules" were not applied. If someone
"discovers" something, etc. this person (I think) should get the
credit for it and it should be clear to anyone who reads the post
or searches the archives. If someone makes a mistake (after all
we are only human), then it is easier to point out THE mistake to
the RIGHT person. It does make writing or replying a little more
complicated, but it ALSO makes reading and searching much
more enjoyable. Plus, it makes things easier for our moderator,
too ;o).

Lastly, as a PURELY PERSONAL opinion:
We all answer in English, because it is the universal language
of this list. Take some pride in your answers AND in your
English. Of course, everyone makes spilling mestakes (oops,
see what I mean ;o}), but try to stay close to the "correct"
English spelling. I donīt mean to offend anyone and of course,
I understand that "foreigners" can have a hard time and I DO
NOT mean these people. I am not trying to make regulations
here, but DO take pride in your language. Itīs what makes
communication possible in the first place ;o)). Re-read your
mail or flip on that automatic spelling correction system, that
most mailers have, before sending the mail on itīs ride around
the world. As a matter of fact I *use* this list to try and keep
my English sharp and up-to-date ;o), because ever since I
moved to Germany, I donīt have much opportunity to practice
the language (except for those phone calls, where I have had
a chance to talk to some of the great guys from this list). It
DOES indeed take a bit more time, but you have nothing to
loose and all to gain. I would never be offended if someone
points out a grammar or spelling mistake to me.

Okay, enough complaining and muttering. Let the flames
begin. I got my flame suit sitting right here next to me ;o))).

Coiler greets from Germany,
Reinhard