Re: Toploads that bite
The static shock you received must have initially come from a non-metalic
surface, like the secondary former or a good coating of polyeurethane
varnish over the coil. Although the TC is an AC device, the fact that
electrons are small and the rest of an atom is large causes a (DC) charge to
accumulate on insulating surfaces. The fact that the secondary coil is
still earthed does not help the charge drain away.
If you were insulated by rubber soled shoes, the charge probably passed to
you first and then discharged suddenly when you touched the topload.
Steve Bell (UK)
----- Original Message -----
Subject: Toploads that bite
> Original Poster: Ross Ogden <rossoggy-at-yahoo-dot-com>
> I was unfortuanate to get a static electricity shock
> form the topload of my coil yesterday which felt like
> the time when i discharded a crt to my hand. I got it
> when i was removing it after a short run with the
> mains off. Ive heard this happens to other people too.
> It seems strange that about 15 Kv could build up on a
> topload which has a electrical resistance of 32 ohms
> to ground mesured(which proves there is no gap between
> secondy terminal and topload).
> Could my shock of been because the charge built up on
> me insted of the coil load. I was wearing rubber soled
> Any thoughts ?
> Ross Ogden
> Do You Yahoo!?
> Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger.