[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: spark gap

Hi Ralph,

At 09:35 AM 02/10/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>I have just completed and tested a multiple SG for my bipolar coil. I used
>eight copper
>sweat couplings, each of 1-inch diameter and gapped at 0.022 inches. The
>problem
>is getting all these cylinders lined up and well behaved enuff so I can gap
>them to at least within
>5/1000 of eachother. I wonder if anyone has developed a technique for doing
>this.

It's easy.  Glue the cylinders down with fast setting epoxy and space them
with a given number of slips of paper.

http://www.peakpeak-dot-com/~terryf/tesla/misc/terrygap.jpg

>When I tested the gap, I noticed that all the sparks were on the circular
>edge of each cylinder rather than along the adjacent sides where I expected
>them to be. Isn't this where the spark should be to gain the advantage of
>cooler operation?

They may not be parallel.  I always rounded the outside edges with sand
paper to remove the sharp edge.  If you use cut pipe sections, the pipe
cutter will naturally pinch the cut edges inward too.

Cheers,

	Terry