[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 20 gauge wire

Hi Malcom,
                  my comments:
> Original Poster: "Malcolm Watts" <malcolm.watts-at-wnp.ac.nz>
>
> Hi all,
>          Since this is an area of interest to me, I have the odd
> comment/query:
Its an area of interest to all of us - I think the spark growth field is one
of the areas of tesla physics we haven't looked at too well.

> > Original Poster: "Megavolt Nick" <tesla-at-fieldfamily.prontoserve.co.uk>
> >
> > Hi All,
> >           The idea is a that a larger wire lower L secondary can charge
> > bigger topload and therefore there is more current available to the arc
(for
> > disscussion of how arcs grow see the 'very long saprk' thread a few
months
> > back)
>
> ?  The topload is effectively charged from a primary energy store
> isn't it?
Yes - its how you use the energy that matters, what I'm saying is that there
is an optimum ratio of  topload size (current available) versus topload
voltage for a given power input.
> One thing that low frequency running does buy you is the
> temptation to build a higher L primary which definitely reduces
> losses in the primary if it allows an increase in primary energy while
> running the same or reduced gap current.
As one who tunes at 32kHz I can enthusiastically agree with you on that
one - the R M Craven paper on TC optimisation definitely had the right idea.

> Regards,
Same to you,
Nick Field