[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Paralleling dissimilar NST's

Hi Coilers,

> I'm not sure I agree that paralleling slightly dissimilar Vout transformers
>  will result in losses due to "fighting".  Consider this thought experiment.
>  Take the two 14.5 and 15.5 KV 30mA NSTs and wire them in parallel,
observing
>  correct phasing.  Apply an AC milliampmeter across the outputs, essentially
>  shorting them.  Since Vout is now essentially zero, their open-circuit Vout
>  difference is no longer significant, but yet their short circuit currents
>  would combine to yield 60mA.  Open circuit, their voltages should average
>  out to 15.0KV,assuming similar winding resistance.

My coil is powered by 9 neons: 4 are 7.5kV rated, the other 5 have 6kV
plate-rating. I use them all in parallel and achive a short circuit current
of 1A and a open-circuit Vout of ca. 7.5kV. Thats because the 7.5kV xformers
deliver ca. 8kV and the 6kV units 6.5kV or so. The platerating in this case
is not so exact. So I get 7.5kVA and the coil works pretty good (3m sparks).

Coiler Greetings from Germany,
Stefan