Re: Topload troubles
Tesla List wrote:
> Original Poster: Raycroft <k.raycroft-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
> Here's an interesting one for you: Last month, my coil was running with
> my aluminum duct toroid I would get about 10" sparks w/o toroid and 18"
> with toroid. Last week I set up my coil as usual, only this time I used
> diferent wires for the primary connections. With no topload, I was able
> to get 18" arcs from a 15/30 and tapped at the same place as before.
> Then, I tried it with the toroid, and taped at the place that it worked
> before. Nothing. Placed a small screw on the toroid and got thin arcs,
> 3". Moved the tap a couple of inches. Still 3". I tried this all the
> way through two turns and saw the spark length go from 0 to 3" back down
> to nothing.
> Just so you know:
> primary: 4nf SW capacitors, 15/30 nst, 30 degree, 8" i.d. .25" copper
> tube spaced .25" saucer with plenty (15) turns, single static gap w/
> secondary: 4" pvc form with 17" wound with #24.
> toroid: 3" X 15"(o.d.) aluminum flexible duct.
> Confused in Minneapolis,
> Jason Raycroft
Hi Jason ...
I too had a similar problem with wires in the primary side ... I went
to a smaller dia wire with thinner insulation ... I eventually found
that the thinner insulation was allowing the primary wire set to arc to
the case ...
results ... loss of alot of power in the primary side very little
streamers ( 8" from the 24" previous)
check the primary wires for touching the case/stand assy. it makes a