[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: mercury break

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Tom Stathes <newphreak_16-at-yahoo-dot-com>
>
> I remember reading somewhere that tesla used something
> called a mercury break on the coils he used for the
> wireless transmission of electricity.  Can anyone tell
> me what a mercury break is?  Can someone send me a
> picture or diagram of one?
> http://im.yahoo-dot-com

	That gadget was, in effect, a high-speed commutator/switch using
mercury as the "brush".  Described in a number of places and no doubt
worked just fine.  Antonio had a description on his web page of a much
more modern system using a similar "interrupter".  Most "silent" light
switches use a drop of mercury sealed in glass or ceramic to perform a
similar function, although they don't rotate through a circle.

Ed