[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: spark gap

One further note on reducing the field concentration at the ends of segmented
copper-pipe static gaps: use the "dullest" wheel-type pipe cutter you can find,
and dial-in a lot of feed rate during the first several turns of the cutter. If
you are using normal drawn copper tubing, this procedure will help to "pinch"
the tube at the point of the cut, increasing the gap at the ends of paralleled
tube segments. After cutting through the pipe, use 220 grit abrasive paper to
remove break the remaining sharp edges.

I have intentionally "dulled" a spare cutting wheel for this purpose by
securing
it on a machine screw with double nuts, then chucking the assembly up in a hand
drill and dressing the edge of the wheel on a sharpening stone to achieve a
small radius rather than a sharp edge.

Scott

Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> on 02/11/2000 10:57:13 AM