[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 20 gauge wire

> Original Poster: "Megavolt Nick" <tesla-at-fieldfamily.prontoserve.co.uk>
>
> Hi Adam,
> you may have missed a point somewhere -

>> Well, I would be quite happy if I got 10% more spark from this secondary
>> alone, but my real reason for my building a larger secondary is to allow
>> me to use a larger primary cap and more input power.  I'm going from
>> 0.01uF to 0.03uF, and I need both a larger secondary and a larger toroid
>> to be able to tune this system without having to build a larger primary
>> coil (not an option for me right now).
>
> To tune with a larger Cpri just use less Lpri or a larger Csec - what
> Reinhard said about toroid sizing is very true - use the largest toroid you
> can for the best output.

My experience has shown me that it is best to use as much of the primary
coil as possible.  I tried using a larger cap, and an extra transformer,
which required using less of the primary coil (6 turns, instead of all 10).
This confiuration change alone did not give me any performance increase.

When I added more topload and reset the tap to turn 10 however, I was back
in business.

-Adam
adamsmith-at-mediaone-dot-net