[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Homemade Trasformer

	Hi all,

	--This is prolly about the thousanth time this has come up on the list,
but a few more posts can't hurt--

	I am thinking of building my own transformer for my coil - not that I
belive it'll be close to as good as a pig, but want to do it myself
(yeah, i'm nuts).  I found dad's old EE book and ran the numbers, and I
should only need 120 turns in the primary to choke the 240V/60hz mains
current (as long as the core is bigger then 14 in^2), and 6000 or so
turns in the secondary to give 12 kV.   So far, I have found that the
biggest problem is the core -- I don't think it can just be a piece of
barstock b/c it seems like it will saturate really easily -- is this
right?  Also, eddy current and hysterysis (spelled wrong) are less in a
laminated core, so I pulled this out of my shorts:  How about using many
small metal "dowels" and coating them with a sealer of some sort (will
polyurethane stick to metal??), then sticking them all together.  What
you have now is a neat little bundle of rods - wrap the primary and
secondary, then bend the whole mess around a garbage can to form a
toroidal shaped tranny.  It seems like this should work.  Will it?

	Any comments apprecited.

	Thanks,

	Ross