[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: PFC = power factor capacitor?

Hi Harvey,

> Original Poster: Harvey D Norris <Tesla4-at-excite-dot-com>
>
> I am taking a guess at this latest abbreviation, it took me months to learn
> that ESR meant equivalent series resistance in a capacitor. Does this mean
> the ohmic resistance eqivalent to its capacitive reactance? Or does it
> represent the resistance encountered as leakage current?
> Sure wish the posters could at least say what the letters mean once in a
> while. HDN

It is actually an "old" abbreviation well known to those in the
switchmode power supply (SMPS) community. It is an *equivalent*
resistance wired in series with a "perfect" capacitor that describes
all resistive losses (dielectric hysteresis, leakage etc.). It is really an
engineering modelling tool similar to modelling a real transformer as
a perfect one with a single resistance in series with its windings.

Regards,
Malcolm