[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A tall thin piggy, or a short squat piggy?

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Paul Eugene Kidwell" <tmb-at-ieee-dot-org>
>
> Hi!
>
> I've been thinking of building my first piggy powered TC. I've found
> what appears to be a good source that offers a wide varity of pigs.
>
> My question is, which one to choose?
>
> They have 7.2 KV and 19.9 KV?
> I know that it would be alot more difficult (i.e. costly) to make a 19.9
> KV MMC than it would to make a 7.2 KV one. (I'm planning on going with
> an MMC) But is 7.2 KV addiquite? With equal KVA ratings, would 19.9 KV
> output out perform 7.2 KV? Would the difference in performance be enough
> to justify the difficulties involved with the higher voltage?
>
> They have 10KVA($95), 15KVA($135), & 25KVA($208)?
> Would I be better off buying a smaller one, and working with that until
> I wanted to go bigger, or buy a large one now and ballast the h*** out
> of it till I build a *really* large TC?
>
> I'm having trouble seeing the forest for the trees here :)
>
> Paul
>
> BTW, the source is Austin International
> http://www.austinintl-dot-com/Transformers-Power.html

Hi Paul...

if you have previous experience with coils  and a healthy bank account
and you plan to persue this hobby for better than 2 yrs    then id go
for the 15KVA 19.9KV unit     if you want to keep the power down in the
beginning just ballast the input for 5 - 10 amps -at- 220V ( i use an EI
core with 200 or so wraps of #10 THHN solid copper wire) when you are
ready for more power add more EI cores in parallel ...

Scot D