[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Pacmakers and Tesla coils = bad??

I witnessed first-hand what a TC can do to a modern pacemaker.  A fellow
was about 20-25ft from a running 15/60 coil.  It ran for maybe 30
seconds then suddenly he shook violently and dropped down on to his
knees.  Apparently, the gap misfired or whatever and for a second the
frequency of the output was abnormal and triggered his pacemaker.  If I
remember right his delivered 5J.  Whatever it delivered, it scared the
holy heck out of me and was very painful for him.  Fortunately, the
shock had no ill effects on his rhythm.

Obviously this situation could have been disastrous.  The TC could have
triggered his pacemaker and sent his heart into an irregular beat, or
perhaps worse could have quietly destroyed his pacemaker and would have
never been noticed until it failed to shock when it was really needed.

IMHO it's just not worth it.  Keep pacemakers FAR away for any TC!

-Stan