[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Toploads that bite

Hi Ralph,
> Nick and Herwig,
>
> I got tired of bending off the leads from 10M resistors to use as a safety
> bleeder so I found a piece of 1/4-inch lexan around 4 x 1.5 inch. I glued
2
> small pieces of brass to one side
> of the plastic with a spacing wide enuff to clear the body of a 1 Watt,
10M
> resistor. I drilled two holes of a size and spacing to slip over the
> terminals of my MMC so the cap terminals can make contact with the brass
and
> then soldered two parallel 10M resistors across the brass
> pieces. Viola: a safety bleed that I can simply slip over the MMC terms
when Viola - I never knew you played Ralph.........:-)
> I am playing with the wiring. Try to remember that it is there.  :-))
Doesn't matter if you don't - a 10M resistor isn't going to do much.

> I have a related question to enter in the stupid question contest. Since
the
> primary capacitor is connected across the secondary of the HV transformer,
> doesn't it always
> have a discharge path thru the transformer secondary? How can the
capacitor
> possibly hold a latent charge?
If one of the leads to the xfmr comes loose, the tapping clamp slips etc.
not too likely but it can happen
If the cap is an mmc type there may be a residual charge on some of the caps
after you discharge it, while the net voltage over the string is zero - this
is the purpose of a discgharge R in series with each cap - of course it is
easier and simpler just to encase the mmc so you can't touch the individual
caps.

> Happy day,
> Ralph Zekelman
... And Happy Night