[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Got my first coil running!!

I got my first Tesla coil running yesterday. My longest streamer was about
16-18" to a hanging grounded object with a 12/30 NST and compressed air blowing
across my spark gap. I was wondering how I will know when it's pefectly in
tune. Is there a way to tell other than spark length? How hard is it to find
just the right point? My coil can be seen at:
<http://www.fortunecity-dot-com/silverstone/impala/403/tesla.html>http://www.fo
rtunecity-dot-com/silverstone/impala/403/tesla.html .The primary is 50' of 1/4"
tubing, about 14.5 turns, and the secondary is 22" of 22 ga. aluminum wire on
PVC drain pipe (thin wall). I know Alum wire may not be the best, but I
accidently bought 29 pounds of it. As soon as I can get ahold of some 22 ga
copper, I'll make an identical coil and compare them. I'm using a 4" dryer duct
toroid.
 Oh, and I did manage to fry a balast in a flourescent light above.