[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: multiple gap question

In a message dated 2/13/00 8:34:05 PM !!!First Boot!!!, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

<<  I haven't built an in - line gap like that but I have built a RQ style
gap.
 > I used one length of copper pipe and cut it into sections with a large
copper
 > tubing cutter.  This left the ends slightly rolled in and made the diameter
 > on the ends slightly less than the rest of the length.  This seems to keep
 > the sparks off of the ends.  I used brass bolts and epoxy to hold them in
 > place with feeler gauges (or credit cards, etc.) as spacers to get all the
 > gaps the same.  If I was building an in - line gap, I would probably use a
 > threaded rod (nylon?) going through the center of each copper tube section
 > and lock them into place one at a time using a spcer to set each gap the
 same.

 > Ed Sonderman

    How would you keep the nylon from melting?  For that matter, I've
 always wondered about the PVC-supported gaps.  Do the cooling fans
 really cool enough to keep the stuff from melting?

 Ed

Ed,

I have used my standard cylindrical RQ style gap up to 1.5kva and have not
had any problems melting the pvc pipe the gap sections are mounted in.  It
does have a small fan mounted on the top, blowing down through the gaps.

Ed Sonderman