[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Coil Grounding

 Thanks for the reply!
 > Troy, I have just finished winding an 8" x 24" x 22 AWG secondary, and I
 > think it's a good solid coil, but for a much larger system.  This
 secondary
 > is too large for a single 10kV 23mA OBIT supply.  I built a single OBIT
 coil
 > My 8" x 24" coil works well from 10.5kV -at- 120mA, but I'm currently
 upgrading
 > to a 14kV -at- 180mA supply.  And I feel it could take a lot more input if I
 > could provide it.

  What about a 9kV 60ma NST, still too little power to drive that large of a
 secondary? I have a bit of difficulty getting my hands on transformers, I
 was lucky to find this OBIT at a pawn shop for like $50 (alot of money for
 if IMHO). I *may* be able to find a 9kV NST, but chances are slim. My
budget
 is the second constraint..... Very constraining - I would like to ( read:
In
 my dreams I) build the whole thing for under $100. I was finnally able to
 get a farm equipment store order in the wire for me, it should be here
 tomarrow, they are just takeing what I need from a 10Kg spool, and this
 could be expensive (even though its only like 2000ft). The table I used
 suggested a 4:1 ratio for a 24 inch coil, indicating 8 x 24, however, what
 would happen if I were to, say, do it with a 6 inch diameter, or even
 smaller? would there be serious performance degredation?, is there an
 alternate ratio chart I can use? Any help would be appreciated.

 Thankyou,
 Troy Peterson VE7SOK
 highvoltage-at-mad.scientist-dot-com