[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 240 volts for my NST?

Hi Jon,

        The steel core of the transformer can only take so much magnetization.
You could probably go to 140 volts or a little more but after that the core
saturates.  Then it will only draw more and more current until something
blows.  Many of us use 140 VAC output variacs without much trouble but that is
about the safe limit.  Transformers are really specifically designed for the
rated voltage.  You can go lower without trouble but not to much higher.

Cheers,

        Terry