[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Pacmakers and Tesla coils = bad??

Comments below.

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>
>
> Hi Stan,
>
>         WOW!!!  When I was reading about pacemakers, it was implied that they
> could be accidently triggered by a number of things.  I was not really
> "sure" a TC could do it but the things they described seemed like it would
> be very possible.  However, this is proof that a 15/60 coil can trigger the
> defibrillator types at 25 feet.  The people that have these are warned by
> their doctors what the jolt they give is like so they will be somewhat
> prepared.  This is especially important if they are driving or something
> (Mark mentioned that they would normally be unconscious, but perhaps that
> can be programmed).  Pacemakers can also be stunned into safe and default
> modes if their logic detects something is wrong.  This may go unnoticed but
> they may not be able to operate as needed in such a fail safe state.  The
> equipment that "talks" to these pacemakers may be able to detect and count
> the number of times they are affected.

snip

The coil was operating without a topload toroid (just a bolt sticking
up) at the time.  I was running the coil but it wasn't mine.  It was in
a chemistry/physics lab with the typical black counter top and sinks and
butane gas outlets and all.  The victim could not remember if he was
touching or in close proximity to the [presumably grounded] metal
faucets or gas outlets.  He was certainly close enough that his hand or
arm could have been.  He said that he had been jolted before when it was
actually needed, but that the combination of pain and sudden surprise
were still extremely unpleasant.  I can't say if he had been driving
when the TC trigger happened if he would have lost control of his car or
not, but I sure as heck wouldn't have wanted to be a passenger! ;)

I don't know enough about pacemakers to know about the fail safe modes
and how they function.

Don't pacemakers often have a metal wire about a foot long?  Could this
possibly act as an antenna?

Not to sound like a safety nut, but a concurrent thread mentions that it
would be insane to operate a TC in the same room as a computer.  If it's
insane to think about a computer that can easily be replaced, what about
a 'computer' that controls someone's life?

-Stan