[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Capasitor match

Hi Bryan,

	There are three basic capacitor sizes:

1	Resonant.  This is the size that will resonant with the transformer at
60Hz allowing fairly high power transfer.  You will get more that 120
breaks per second.  Safety gaps are an absolute must because if anything
goes wrong the voltage can jump up to like 50,000 volts and blow everything
up.  These are very popular but they have left many dead NSTs in their wake.

2	"Big"(I just made that up)  This cap size is about 50% large than a
resonant cap and has fewer BPS but the larger cap makes up for it.  It is
far less likely to destroy anything if something goes wrong.  I would
recommend this.  Many would consider this as an "LTR" type but I like to
reserve that for the really optimized coils.

3 	"LTR" Larger Than Resonant.  The cap size is the maximum that can be
charged at the line frequency.  This usually takes advantage of the timing
of a rotary sync gap to work.  Very safe and has very good power but fairly
complex to figure out and build.

These are all for NST systems that have current limited transformers.
Other transformers have other considerations.  Let us know what kind of
transformer you have and a little detail on your coil and we can be more
specific.

Cheers,

	Terry