[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Coil Grounding

on 2/13/2000 5:24 PM, Tesla List at tesla-at-pupman-dot-com wrote:

> Original Poster: "Jason  R.  Johnson" <hvjjohnson13-at-xoommail-dot-com>
>
> Even if budget is a problem I would think that you should be able to do
better
> than beer bottles. A rolled cap or an mmc would be much better and not all
> that
> difficult/expensive. For a rolled cap I know that you can find info in the
> archives and for an mmc (also info in the archives) you can get caps from
> Mouser Electronics- www.mouser-dot-com or Digi-key- www.digikey-dot-com.
>
> Don't anybody let me give Troy bad advice :-)

Well, there are some folks coiling on a low budget, for which even an MMC
could prove unaffordable.  Beer bottles cost $0.05 each--any MMC will be at
least 2 orders of magnitude more expensive than this.

And poly caps are certainly not cheap in terms of materials cost or labor
hours.  My 0.018uF 0.090" poly cap cost me about $200 in materials, which
includes the 1/2" plexiglas case, but not the gas to go and pick up all the
pieces from the various suppliers (aluminum flashing, polyethylene sheets,
plexi, transformer oil, brass nuts and bolts, polyethylene tubing, nylon
screws, rubber gaskets, etc...)

I got enough poly for some rolled caps too, and for these I needed to buy 4"
thin-walled PVC, 4" end caps, PVC cement, neoprene washers, brass hardware,
more copper flashing, and mineral oil from the drug store since I didn't
like the transformer oil all that much.

And you need a vacuum pump to do it right.  I would not do any of this
again.  Anyone considering building more than one poly cap should seriously
consider just biting down on the leather strap right now and forking over
the dough for a commercial cap.  You'll get a much smaller, neater, and more
robust product for the same $$$ if you shop smart.

-Adam
adamsmith-at-mediaone-dot-net