[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

MMC Bleeders (was Re: Toploads that bite)

Hi Ruud, all,

(guys, PLEA(SE), change the subject line, when you
switch subjects)

Snipperz

> Original Poster: rdgraaf-at-ocenl.nl
>
> High Ralph (and Ed and all other coilers),
>
> The reason that the tank capacitor does not discharge via de HV
> transformer is that it will see (after ionisation of the air by a top
> the High Voltage 50 or 60 Hz sinus wave) a very low impedance
> path through the Tesla primary coil. The apparent resistance for the
> initiated radio wave pulse of the HV transformer secondary is much
> to high (because of the high impedance of the secondary).

snip

I think you misunderstood the post. People are talking about
the need for bleeding resistors across the primary cap and
why they are necessary. If the primary cap was a single unit
(aka non MMC construction), you would not necessarily need
a bleeder as it WOULD indeed discharge through the xformer
windings (as long as non of the primary connections become
disconnected). However, in the case of seriesed caps, it is
quite possible to have a nil total charge across all caps and at
the same time having the individual caps still holding a charge,
which could present a safety hazard. The HV xformer they are
talking about is NOT the TC, but rather the "primary" HV
xformer (be it NST, OBIT, pole pig, what ever).

Coiler greets from Germany,
Reinhard