[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Damages to Electronic Equipment

Hi Ruud,

At 02:22 PM 02/16/2000 +0100, you wrote:
snip...

>Hi Terry,
>
>Yesterday evening I enjoyed myself with some of your papers and I
>was certainly surprised to read about your 50MHz pulses discovery.
>I was also pleasantly surprised about your professionel appproach.
>How nice to share that info with the 'Tesla Community'. I can
>imagine that was a lot of work (without getting payed).
>
>But, let me stick to the subject:
>
>first to be exact: you cannot create an EMI pulse. The 'I' stands for
>'Interference' and this term is used in the chip industry to indicate
>possible disturbance of an electronic signal by EMP's (Electro
>Magnetic Pulse) or in general by Electro Magnetic Waves.

What I meant is that the instant the gap first fires.  All the parasitic
capacitances and inductances in the wiring ring with a transient response.
This accounts for the very powerful initial burst of noise.  This burst is
repeated say 120 times per second every time the gap fires.  The zero
crossing bursts have a lot of noise to but not nearly as much as the
initial burst.  Multigap gaps have much higher noise that the higher
efficiency types.

>Ofcourse the Tesla arcs (EMP's) will radiate HF energy (lightning
>does also), but because the arc is really short-circuiting the coil's
>secondary and therefore the system must lose energy in the form
>of ionisation, light, warming up the air and making ozon. In the
>archives people are reporting that the light intensity from there TL-
>tubes (excited electrons by the Tesla coil) is decreasing significant
>when the toroid does not arc and they put something on it to let it
>arc. I think this support my theorem at the least (It will not proof
>that I'm right however).
>
>I think my theorem that a Tesla Coil will radiate less HF power
>when it arcs then when she does not will hold. The picture will
>change when there is more power consumption at the moment
>arc's appear. Do you know something about that? ('measuring is
>knowing, all the rest is guessing')

Theoretically, if the system arcs to ground, the secondary energy will
never get a chance to return to the primary system, so no more power will
be lost in the gap.  Thus, more energy is expended in the output arc.

The output will not be a say 200kHz signal but more a high current burst.
This depends on the voltage (300kV), terminal capacitance (30pf), and
effective resistance of the ground path (?).  Basically, your are
dissipating 1.35 joules in far less than a microsecond (~10 million plus
instantaneous watts!).  A lot of that goes into pure heat following the
I^2R rule.  However, those arcs definitely put a pretty good RF noise pulse
out too.

Personally, I like air streamers...

Cheers,

	Terry