[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Damages to Electronic Equipment

Date forwarded: 	Tue, 15 Feb 2000 12:44:34 -0700
Date sent:      	Tue, 15 Feb 2000 12:42:36 -0700
To:             	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:        	Re: Damages to Electronic Equipment
Forwarded by:   	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
From:           	Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

> Original Poster: Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>
>
> Hi Ruud,
>
> At 04:38 PM 02/15/2000 +0100, you wrote:
> >Hello Terry,
> >
> >I'am a little troubled with your statement:
> >
> >"Find a very good ground for the Tesla coil.  This will insure that the
> >RF has a place to go."
> >
> >Sorry to maybe offend you, but I think that is not a very scientific
> >approach to explain electromagnetic phenomena. In fact grounding
> >the Tesla secondary will insure better radiation of RF energy. That
> >is the reason that transmitters and receivers are grounded.
>
> Moderators cannot be offended ;-))
>
> If the base of the secondary, strike rails, filters, etc. are not very well
> and effectively grounded against RF, the radiation can be dramatic.  The AC
> wiring may tend to become a ground path if there is not a good REAL RF
ground.

> >In my opininion there is only one way to coil at home and that is
> >with a Farady cage and ofcourse RF filters. I'am sure planning to
> >mount chicken wire on all my garage walls and ceiling and ground
> >it. I will give a report on measured radiation when I'am done. (Give
> >me a couple of months, I'am still collecting 'Tesla stuff'.
>
> Chicken wire is good for arcs since it does prevent them from going
> further.  I wonder what the skin depth of that wire is like and if the very
> high frequency 10MHz, 100MHz, and GHz+ noise frequencies will be conducted
> or just radiated off it.  Maybe they will be absorbed???  I am not sure.
> Perhaps your setup can answer this for us.  Looking forward to seeing what
> you find.
>

> >Btw, arcing of the secondary coil is a big load and will therefore
> >reduce RF radiation.
>
> The arc to ground currents are very high so you get powerful EMI pulses...
>

> Welcome to the list!!
>
> Cheers,
>
> 	Terry
>

> >Ruud de Graaf
> >Greetings from lovely and wet Holland

Hi Terry,

Yesterday evening I enjoyed myself with some of your papers and I
was certainly surprised to read about your 50MHz pulses discovery.
I was also pleasantly surprised about your professionel appproach.
How nice to share that info with the 'Tesla Community'. I can
imagine that was a lot of work (without getting payed).

But, let me stick to the subject:

first to be exact: you cannot create an EMI pulse. The 'I' stands for
'Interference' and this term is used in the chip industry to indicate
possible disturbance of an electronic signal by EMP's (Electro
Magnetic Pulse) or in general by Electro Magnetic Waves.

Ofcourse the Tesla arcs (EMP's) will radiate HF energy (lightning
does also), but because the arc is really short-circuiting the coil's
secondary and therefore the system must lose energy in the form
of ionisation, light, warming up the air and making ozon. In the
archives people are reporting that the light intensity from there TL-
tubes (excited electrons by the Tesla coil) is decreasing significant
when the toroid does not arc and they put something on it to let it
arc. I think this support my theorem at the least (It will not proof
that I'm right however).

I think my theorem that a Tesla Coil will radiate less HF power
when it arcs then when she does not will hold. The picture will
change when there is more power consumption at the moment
arc's appear. Do you know something about that? ('measuring is
knowing, all the rest is guessing')