[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NST and GFI ?

Hello "spam_proof",

> Original Poster: spam_proof-at-worldnet.att-dot-net
> That stands to reason.  In the US, GFI/GFCI's are set to
>trip if the difference between the current coming from the
>hot and going back into the neutral is more than 5 mA.  If
>you're using (like me) a ground such as a drain pipe, that
>is current which is coming from the hot, but not returning
>on the neutral.  Two good ways to get around this:

Huh??? The current IS supposed to, in fact IT MUST(!) go
from phase (hot) to N. This is NOT what a GFI measures!!
It measures fault current on the ground line. The fact that
you are using ground as your (RF?) return line has nothing
to do with it (as I pointed out in my other post). Your RF
ground is NOT (or at least it shouldnīt be) connected with
phase from your mains. Your HV xformer isnīt an auto-
transformer, so itīs isolating the phase from the secondary
side. Please see my post from the other day.

> 1.  Don't use a Tesla coil on a GFI outlet.  Ground fault circuit
>breakers have a higher tolerance (can't remember the exact
>current off the top of my head) and will be able to take a
>bigger Tesla coil.

(In Germany) a GFI is NOT a circuit breaker in the sense of a
normal c.b. It does not measure overcurrent in the normal
(i.e: P to N) current path, so you need an extra *true* c.b.
to protect your wiring from overcurrent. The ground fault
measuring system is VERY accurate. Mine (30mA) will pop
off +/- 3mA every time. As a matter of fact, that test button
included with GFI does just that; it produces a fault current
with the specs of the GFI.

> 2.  Although I don't recommend it, you can use the neutral
>(prong on the left) as a ground and make sure all of your
>sparks hit the neutral on the Tesla coil side of the outlet (e.g.
>using a neutral from another outlet or "upstream" from the
>outlet won't do).  Keep in mind that St. Elmo's fire is current
>going to ground, so just because you don't see sparks doesn't
>mean you aren't leaking current.  I would recommend against
>this because, inter alia, a substaintial number of outlets are
>reverse-wired. If you do this and you are reverse wired, you'll
>have 120v exposed metal you might not be aware of...touch
>your Tesla coil chassis while you are leaning against a radiator
>or some other grounded object and you're toast.

NO!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT USE NEUTRAL as your return ground. Donīt
even think of it. Not only is it down right stupid (sorry about that),
but it will also induce high voltage RF currents into every piece
of equipment you have connected anywhere in your house.

Coiler greets from Germany,
Reinhard

P.S: On this mailing list, we like to know who we are talking
to ;o)