[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Reducing Inductance In Caps And ?, Was RE: Reducing SelfResonance In Rolled Caps

Bill wrote...

> I had read that rolled caps self resonate, because they are a cap
> and a coil all at the same time.  However now I understand they must
> have really meant that rolled caps have higher inductance.  There
> by slowing the charging and discharging time, that makes sense.
>
> Now the question is if the inductance slows the charging and
> discharging, would not that change the overall freq in the primary?
>
> For TC use is it better to use extended foil design or the non
> extended foil design in rolled caps?
>
> Does this inductance change the overall capacitance?
>
> Does it change the number of turns needed on the primary?
>
> Many Thanks,
> Bill Parn

Hi Bill  ya got me there ... no idea if it is that sensitive

i tried my luck with rolled caps   it was expensive time consuming and
frustrating when it arced thru

then i went to plate caps    it was expensive time consuming and
frustrating when it arced thru   altho easier to fix  just replace the
arced plates

then i went to commercial caps  it was expensive  took 4 days to get
them and havent arc thru yet

imagine  i could have had 3 sets of commercial caps   :(

ahhhhhhhh  but i had the experience of building them   ;)

Scot D