[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: MMC Caps

Hi Rick,

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Rick Kirby" <rkirby-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>
> Robin
>
> I was thinking of using a MMC cap of that size on my Pig Powered coil.
> Please describe your MMC, the caps used, number of strings, caps per string.
> and any details about your coil especially the gap type and break rate.
> How would you describe your discharges, purple or white hot, thin or thick,
> and what length.
>
> Very interested in North Carolina
> Rick Kirby

I can certainly recommend the MMC approach for pig tc's, My cap is way over
engineered but I
don't fancy it letting go during a demo etc!( Murphy's Law). The caps are
Cornell-Dubilier Poly/foil pulse discharge caps
rated at 0.33uf each, 1600VDC, 600 AC, 2000dv/dt. I have put them 33 in series,
along with a 10 Meg
half watt bleed resistor on each cap. This gives me 0.01uf for each panel,
(52800Vdc/19800Vac). I have
9 panels in parallel giving me 0.09uF. I know this is over the top but I
went for
reliability rather than to
a price. Using Terry's new program allows you to find a balance between both.

 Gap      - 1 HP sync rotary 10 thoriated tungsten electrodes, (believe me
they get
warm on long runs), 4 stationary electrodes
                1500 RPM - 300 breaks per second, (1500/50hz ,(OZ), X 10).
- go for
multiples of 4 for the disk - my rotary will
                sync sometimes at 90 Deg variatinos due to there being 4
cuts on
the armature(1500rpm), means sometimes the electrodes will
                be in the wrong place. I will make another one, in time :-^

Primary -  0.5 inch copper pipe/ 0.5 inch spacing flat mounted on polypipe,
2 inch
gap from secondary

Tap point - now 7.5 turns, (approx: 97KHZ).

Secondary - 10 inch mdpe close wound for 45 inches with 10AWG
polyesterimide wire,
                     (DR Res's magic 4.5:1 - works for me!). Fr with topload
(100Khz).

Cap  - 0.09uF MMC as described.

Transformer - 5 KVA 15900V output pole trfmr - run at anywhere from 2.5 KW
to 10KW
with no ill effects.

Controller - My own.

Ballast - one 40 amp oil filled variac.

top load - Mirror finished aluminium 'psuedo' toroid 10 inch X 24.5 inch
mounted 7
inches above a smaller 4 inch,
                (I think), by  12 inch control toroid. (was one 10 inch X
51 inch
polished alu toroid - too big at the moment).

Discharges - the best part :-)),
Note - I usually leave the voltage variac on full, (270V out), and vary the
current
control variac to control TC behaviour,
           works for me.

 at 2.5 KVA - Multiple purple discharges, (4 to 6),  spraying out
everywhere from
the top toroid, range from 3 to 5 feet.
at 5 Kva -     Less number of much brighter purple discharges, (3 to 4), still
random from the top toroid, range from 4 to 7 feet.
at 7.5 Kva - 2 to 3 very bright thick purple to white extremely loud and mobile
streamers from the top toroid, range from 5 to 7 feet with
                   very occasional strikes to a ground rod ~ 8 to 9 feet
with no
discharge point from toroid.
at 10 Kva - one only incredibly LOUD!, (s**t, I had no idea when I made
this thing
that it could be so loud!)
                   very mobile streamer ranging from 7 to 11 feet from any
point on
the toroid, however now
                   getting racing arcs full length of secondary about 1
every 4 to
5 secs. - I think I'm at the limit of the
                   secondary.

I have a website at             www.geocities-dot-com/rcopini/
This shows
the entire coil and it's components however -

1) The secondary is now 45 inches long,
2) The toroid is now the new smaller size

and

 The page on 'second light' is with the old toroid, If you look at the
video you
can see the TC with the new toroid - have the
 sound on near to full to get some idea of the volume, the bangs you hear
are the
safety's firing.

If you want any more info email me at rcopini-at-merlin-dot-net.au

Hope this helps