[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

New tranny arrived today, need ballast advice

My new GE transformer arrived today, and I'd like to get some suggestions on
how to current-limit it for 120V/20A service, and how many VA I can expect
to use this at.  The transformer is the following type:

    General Electric
    JVW-5 "Hi-Bute 60"
    1500 V.A. (30 deg rise)
    120:1 (14,400-to-120)

Anybody use this same model? I know i've seen similar on some of the webring
sites.  If that's your site, what are you ballasting it with? :-)

Up to this point, I have only run my coils with banks of NSTs, so I really
don't know the first thing about practical pig/pot ballasting solutions.
I've read everything I can find in the pupman archives relating to
ballasting and potential transformers, but I still have no concrete examples
to go by.  What I have to work with are some NSTs, a pair of MOTs, and some
old hotplates I've gotten from peoples' trash (the kind with a flat spiral
heating coil--good power resistors?).

My last question is: how many V.A. can I really use this thing at, for short
(under 30 second) runs.  In other words, ignoring the heat factor associated
with continuous operation, how much current can I really safely extract from
this tranny?

Thanks a bunch,

Adam
adamsmith-at-mediaone-dot-net