[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

shopping :) and a little tinkering

The Group went on a bit of a field trip today :)

We obtained some NST's from a local sign shop and now our stockpile is as
follows......

2 15/30 France (1 black brick, 1 open-top with sec terminals sticking
through the potting, weird.)

3 15/60 Jensons
2 12/60 Jensons
1 12/60 Allison

We also have a line on what appears to be somewhat of a Dry-Pig. A large
cube transformer with 4" tall bushings on top. Rated approx 20KV at 1A, it's
massive and looks very promising :) Though I don't think we are ready for
such a beast, i'm not stupid enough to let this pass me by. It can sit and
collect dust in MY lab for 6 months, not theirs :).

Also learned about something NEAT!

There is availible "Open-Frame" NST's in low voltages. My virgin eyes have
never seen a naked (unpotted)NST in real life before but when I saw it on
the shelf I recognised it immediately.

I asked they guy and he said they buy them like that all the time for use in
"Base mounted" tabletop displays. The voltage is low (7KV or so) but the
shunts are RIGHT THERE and slip in and out with ease. :) Now I know how to
spot them and remove them when I unpot my OWN NST's :) VERY COOL!!!!!

I'm trying to schmoose a couple of these little gems from them, if nothing
more than a fried one as a teaching aid, they're really cool.

Making preps this evening for "Second Light" tomarrow, and would like some
advise/tips. Here's the proposed setup.

15/60 NST
.0125 uF SW
6X24" 22AWG sec at 1.5" above primary for 1st turn
10.5"ID 15 turn .25" Cu spaced -at- .25" Primary (we added 20' for another 3
turns) ANYONE KNOW A GOOD WAY TO SPLICE THINWALL TUBEING FOR THIS
APPLICATION? We flared (ripped) one piece and slipped it into the other, but
it's not very good and looks like poo.
multiple static gap (this is a definition of Kludge :)) We placed a few
bolts in a piece of UHMW with short bits of 10AWG solid wraped around them
with the ends pointing up and gapped apart to the next one :) We have 4 or 5
gaps.
It's rough, but it should work.
18X4" Toroid
Flagpole for a RF ground.

Alright, any ideas? Expected output? (we have a pool going....lol)

I have $5 on 14"

Have fun campers :)
Chris "rewired the lab today, just call me Sparky" Boden
The Geek Group, Because the Geek shall inherit the Earth!
www.geekgroup-dot-org