[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NST and GFI ?

On Mon, 21 Feb 2000 12:40:50 -0700, Tesla List wrote:

>  Original Poster: "Reinhard Walter Buchner" <rw.buchner-at-verbund-dot-net>
>
>  Hi Stan,
>
>  Original Poster: "Stan" <sdarling-at-columbus.rr-dot-com>
>
>  snip
>
>  >Recently, I have been plugging the 120V for my NSTs
>  >into one of those $20 APC SurgeArrest strips.  It has
>  >a 'Site Wiring Fault' light on it. When the coil is powered
>  >on, the site fault light blinks.  Actually, it brightens and
>  >dims anywhere from all the way off to all the way on.  It
>  >appears the light gets brightest when the largest
>  >streamers are produced.
>
>  >So, do these strips look for leakage to ground for a wiring
>  >fault?  Or something else?  Seems like it's related to the
>  >GFI questions recently. Even if it's not, it's got me curious.

At the mid Ohio Teslafest I wanted to show how two very large inductors
could be thrown into high freq. at 120 volts AC input. A GFI was used here,
and the system easily tripped it. At home with fine tuning of caps on each
coil I could ground and light a neon from the midpoints of each of the 60 hz
series resonant 180 phased coils simultaneously. When this is done it can be
shown that the lighting of the neons fight each other to see which coil can
deliver the available current to the earth.When one goes brighter , the
other dims. When this was tried it immediately tripped the gfi every time,
so I gave up trying to make that demonstration. It also seemed much more
difficult to get the system to arc into high freq. than it should have been.
I beleive the gfi may also be affected by rf kickback, since this is a
system not isolated by a transformer.

Binary Resonant System
http://www.insidetheweb-dot-com/mbs.cgi/mb124201

Visit http://freeworld.excite-dot-com