[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: maxing out a 4" coil

In a message dated 2/22/00 4:38:45 AM Pacific Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

<< Original Poster: "Ron West" <ronwes1-at-juno-dot-com>

 I am interested in upgrading my low power 4" coil.  Primary is 11.5 turns
 of 1/4" copper tubing wound on 1/2" centers.  I was wondering if a 15KV
 30mA NST might be all I need for the size of this coil, or if it would be
 worth it to go for a 15KV 60mA NST instead.  Is it possible to
 "overpower" the coil?

 Ron

Ron,

More power equals longer sparks.  The 15 kv 60 ma transformer will not
overpower the coil.  I have a 3.0" diameter coil that uses the same
transformer.

Ed Sonderman