[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Paul's design (no subject originally)

> Original Poster: "Adam" <adamsmith-at-mediaone-dot-net>

Hi Paul, I got this too. Comments intersperced.

> Post sent to wrong address? I got it from tesla-request-at-pupman-dot-com?
> Anyhow...
>
> > Could you folks review my proposed NST protection circuit schematic?
> >
> > 10 amp 0-140v variac
> > 12KV, 60mA NST,
> > Tank cap: .01uF Fair Radio cap
> > Primary: 16 turns .25" Cu tubing
> > Secondary: 6"x24" 22 awg
> > Toroid: 6"x18" (approx) heating duct
>
> Sounds good and solid.  Additional NST and 0.01uF (or so) will increase
> performance in the future, without significant need to modify any other
> system components-- good flexible design Paul!  If your primary is a flat
> spiral, my design tool says it will tune with the tap between 12.5 to 13 of
> the 16 turns. Good margin for corrections.

I agree with Adam here on both accounts. My calcs said 12.5 turns and I too
would go up in capacitance 0.01uF. I would add also that I would like to see
another 10pF (6" x 28" toroid) on top for about ~30pF total. Dare I say you
might be able to push 50" streamers out then? (I might be a few picofarads
over-
best to experiment).

What are you getting now Paul? 35"?  45"? Kind of curious.

Sorry, can't help witht the protection circuit - I haven't used one (like it).
Adam's response sounded pretty good to me.

Bart