[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: DC vs AC TC (was Re: NST->DC Re: CGA Monitor Flyback)

Greets Marco And All,

The one advantage I have of using DC at the moment
is that my cap is to big to charge during a 60hz
half cycle with my 9kv-at-30ma NST.  So I can never get
the gap to fire.  Of course that problem could be
solved with a rotary spark gap, or a smaller cap.
I am planning on doing both of these in time.

So in my case right now it is a necessity.  I am looking
forward to getting a AC powered coil going as soon as
possible.

> Regardless of how you charge the primary capacitor, it will
> assume a certain
> polarity (different during different AC cycles, of course). At
> bang time this
> voltage will oscillate (that is, you'll get IN ANY CASE AC voltage and
> current).
> And that is just what makes all the TC work.
>
> If you wanted to regulate the charging voltage, to achieve
> repeatibility and a
> certain degree of precision, than you'd use a DC supply. Just to
> get rid of all
> those AC / RSG phase dependance and to get a repeatable bang. I
> bet you are not
> aiming at that, aren't you?
>
> Regards

Cheers,