[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NST robustness

<< Why do you think that is?  My latest thinking on the subject (about a
> year old) is that it should be better if the gap is set to, say, 15kV as
>you then have an extra margin of safety up your sleeve. It seems to
> have worked for me so far but then I haven't had the guts to do an
> acid test of this theory.
>
> Regards,
> Malcolm

Hi Malcolm

My reasoning on the 15/30 NST's being weak is that they are the
same physical size as a 12kV unit, so the pathways for shorting
inside are stressed more by 15kV than by 12kV.  Also the 15kV
may have thinner wire and thinner insulation.  I suspect that a
7.5kV, 60ma, still the same physical size, may be even more
robust.

Cheers,
John Freau