[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Baptism in fire.....Matt 3:11

Snippp..

> Problem:
> We run the coil with 6 different power setups and as I understand it PFC's
> need a specific load. If we change, or ad, or whatever the NST, we have to
> change the PFC as well. Am I correct?
>
> Chris "Only YOU can prevent panel fires" Boden

Hi Chris...

PFC's help shift the phase a bit to make the load "look" less to the
power line. If you use the same transformer then you can safely use the
PFC's over a range of say 40% with out ill effects.   If you want a
complete 1:1 power correction then yes, you need to stick with a
designated cap size ...   but in this type of situation you can have a
rather large difference.  the only thing you will see is less shift but
still a decient "drop" in amperage thru the variac ...

for example  im using 4 NST's -at- 15KV -at- 30mA  ( total of 15KV -at-120mA )
the value for a 1:1 correction would be 330uF (220V motor run caps) but
im only using 150uF ...  even tho its 1/2 of the suggested value  I
still see a 40% drop in amperage before the caps ...  after the caps it
goes back up to 16 amps

amp reading before cap = 10 amps    after caps = 16 amps   guess where
ill stick the variac? ;)

Scot D