Re: Liquid Capacitor
As Bryan points out, the idea as a practical cap is a non-starter. However,
it is an interesting idea and it promotes "thinking out of the box"....
> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Liquid Capacitor
> Date: Saturday, February 26, 2000 8:23 AM
> Original Poster: "Bryan L. Kaufman MD, MS" <bryan-at-apexrad-dot-com>
> This whole concept is non-viable and fraught with hazard.
> 1) I assure you that the voltages are well beyond the necessary levels to
> cause redox reactions in the Hg and the aqueous copper sulphate
> For example, the Hg will ionize and you can expect some degree of
> reaction with the oil by the Hg, Cu and SO4 ions.
> 2) If the you apply the anode to the Hg, the Cu2+ ions will readily
> through the oil under the influence of the electrical field. So much for
> insulation. It's called electrophoresis.
> 3) If you reverse the polarity it's even worse. The sulphate and Hg will
> both migrate and the entire aqueous phase and the oil too will all
> become poisonous.
> 4) In fact, by imposing the current on the phases, you are basically
> creating a battery of sorts. The energy will not be stored entirely in
> field as desired, but in the changed chemistry of the several phases,
> will not have the desired instantaneous relaxation of potential.
> 5) Not to mention the toxicity of mercury vapor. I know of an individual
> made his family's house unihabitable for three months by boiling mercury
> his garage. (Not to mention the three days he spent in the hospital being
> detoxed.) Can you be sure that no heating will occur in your cap?
> > please dont use mercury its highly toxic and can mess up your genes try
> > using a glass and copper foil cap cooled with salt water
> >>What could happen if
> >>A) it ruptured and blew mercury all over the place?
> >>B) somehow it tipped over or got shook up and the salt water and
> > made
> >>C) could the forces involved cause one of the liquids to "pull" through
> >>just curious