[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Power Factor Capacitor -- Was -- RE: schematics...Adam Smith's

----- Original Message -----
From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Saturday, February 26, 2000 11:13 PM
Subject: Re: Power Factor Capacitor -- Was -- RE: schematics...Adam Smith's

> Original Poster: "Adam" <adamsmith-at-mediaone-dot-net>
>
> > Actually, I've been told that Aluminum Electrolytic will work for a
120VAC
> > PFC cap.  These are inexpensive and very common.  And to head off
criticism
> > that Aluminum electrolytic caps shouldn't be used in an AC circuit, I
was
> > told by an Electrical Engineer (Technician?) who runs all the electrical
> > labs here at school.  He said that electrolytics can take the AC, just
not a
> > constant negative DC bias.
> >
> > Mark
>
> Not for this application, NO WAY!  Fairly inexpensive "non-polar"
> electrolytics are used in AC circuits all the time, in speaker crossovers
> for example, and motor starting, but there are none that I know of that
> would be of any use for NST Power Factor Correction.  They just can't
handle
> the continuous currents that we're dealing with.
>
> You can go ahead and experiment, but be very sure that you are well
> protected from the blast of hot alkali that will inevitably spew from the
> capacitor!
>
> -Adam
> adamsmith-at-mediaone-dot-net

Well, It looks like a motor run capacitor will work just fine for PFC use.
The following two links are to Mallory's motor run capacitor spec sheets.
Power factor correction is listed under applications for theese caps. They
are metalized polypropylene and metalized paper foil / polypropylene type
caps, not electrolytic as I once thought. The ones I bought are much larger
(older) and the part #s are not listed (31BJ4415). You need adobe acrobat
reader to veiw the pdf files.

http://www.nacc-mallory-dot-com/pdf/ac/runs.pdf and
http://www.nacc-mallory-dot-com/pdf/ac/rpgmsf.pdf