[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Strange Current Flow

<<  Hi all,

 >  I wired an ammeter up to my coil today, and something strange happens -
>   The tranny (a 15 kV, 25 mA NST), draws about 3A on the primary when
> shorted, but when used in my coil, the meter jumps from 3 to 5A,
> sometimes even going off the scale of the thing.  Since the NST is
 >current limiting by itself, the only thing I can think of is that
> perhaps only actual power is limited by the NST, and at times a large
 >reactive component is induced somewhere, allowing the NST to spit out
> more current as purely reactive power.

 >  Any comments apprecitated,

 >  Ross

Ross,

Nst's can draw more than their rating when installed in a TC.  My
12/30 can draw 620 watts under certain conditions.  The cap
depending on its size can create a reso-charging effect or an
inductive kick effect that draws in extra power.  Also the use of
a 140 volt variac will cause more power to be drawn.  Of course
since you're using an ammeter you're not seeing the true power
drawn.  Depending on whether the NST is power factor corrected,
this will affect things too.

Cheers,
John Freau