[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: MOTs...exploring the low end of TC voltage

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Mike Nolley" <mnolley-at-mail.slc.edu>
>
> Tesla List wrote:
snip...

>     Greg--good to know someone else is going in this direction.  I'm
building a
> power supply right now which utilizes Mots, and I fired it up last night.  I
> used 6 Mots in a center-tapped configuration, with two Mots back to back
in the
> first stage, and four Mots, two sets with primaries and secondaries in
series,
> for the second.  This yields 8kv across the array, without saturation
problems
> in the second stage.  Both outputs were half-wave doubled using 2 sets of 10
> oven capacitors in series-parallel--this produces 16kvdc at ~300 ma.  (I
don't
> have a meter, so I can't say for sure).  This summer I'm going to soup it up
> even more by adding another set of 6 transformers and 20 capacitors to give
> 600ma, or even more if I knock out the shunts, sink the whole mass in
parrafin,
> and add current limiting.
>    Obviously it's completely over the top, but I decided to milk the idea for
> all it was worth.  So far it has cost me virtually $0, and far, far, far too
> much time. : )
>     I'll keep you updated offlist, if you're interested.
>                     --Mike

No, No, please! keep it on the list, we cannot have enough info
on low-cost transformer solutions.

What I wonder is: Why would the outher transformers tend to saturate
more than the 2 inner transformers.

I basically think we have an insulation problem, or perhaps just an
insulation challenge.

Cheers, Finn Hammer