[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: FW: How Long a Spark

<<
> Hi John

> Thanks for this interesting formula; is it entirely empirical or is there
> some theoretical background?

Hi Nick,

I based the formula on empirical observations, but I'm sure there
are theoretical aspects.  Power helps the sparks to grow after
they're formed as you mentioned.  Also, a high break rate helps to keep
streamer ionization "alive", and permits the sparks to grow, but
requires more power.  It's an interesting subject.  It may be possible
to obtain somewhat longer sparks by using a higher Ls/Lp ratio,
although impedance matching concerns may put a limit on that
technique.  To actually obtain a certain voltage may demand a
certain amount of power because of these impedance matching
issues.

Millennium Cheers to all !!
John Freau
--

> I guess I'm still hooked into the analogy of voltage as water pressure and I
> find it hard to believe that it's not fundamentally voltage that determines
> the maximum spark length.  I can see that, when an arc has started, more
> power increases the number of ions and keeps the arc going and even
> increases the "effective" arc length as it forms a hot arc [like a Jacob's
> ladder] rather than shooting out in a straight line.

 Nick >>